Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"Custom" Framing


If you've ever had anything custom framed you know how shockingly expensive it is.  I've had this Map of Maui (purchased on my honeymoon) for almost 8 years now and I've shied away from having it framed because of this.  When my husband and I finally decided to decorate our bedroom I knew it was time for this map to find a home.  I almost bit the bullet and had it professionally framed but then it dawned on me "what if I could find a frame at a thrift store and just purchase the matting?"  Later in the week I went to a local thrift store and found "The Perfect Frame" for $20.00!  Here's how I customized it:

1.  I removed all the staples from the backing with a pair of pliers and some elbow grease.

2. I carefully removed the original artwork from the matting (which also happened to coordinate quite nicely with my map!)

3.  I went to my local Michael's and asked them to cut a custom mat to surround my map.  The man working in framing did this for me and charged me about $8 for the service, including the mat.  I am pretty sure this is not something they commonly do so you may want to call around to a few different locations to make sure they can and will do this for you.

4.  I took my mat home and taped my map into it.  Then I placed this into the frame and original matting and secured in place with tape.  I added a piece of cardboard behind the print and matting to help add some bulk and push the map up against the glass.

5. Lastly, I found my husbands staple gun and carefully stapled the backing back in place.  (Tip: Be sure glass is clean on the inside before performing this final step!)

Here is the result:


Let's do the math now:

Cost of Frame: $20.00
Cost of New Mat and Custom Cut: $8.00
Cost of Map: $25.00? (can't remember exactly, it was 8 years ago!)

Total Cost: $53.00

I'm guessing (based on past experience) that this would have cost me well over $200 to have custom framed.

Eco-friendly, budget friendly and beautiful = Happy Home-Maker!


No comments:

Post a Comment